We’re a very newly established Commission, so we want to tell you a little about who we are and what we are doing:
THE BEGINNING. In December 2013, Mayor Ray Buenaventura, Vice Mayor David Canepa, and the City Council Members David Canepa, Judith Christensen, Mike Guingona, and Sal Torres, established the Arts and Culture Commission to support and advance arts and culture within our community, . The Commission’s duties include:
• Advising the City Council on all matters affecting the culture of the City and to advise and assist other City boards and commissions in the field of the fine arts;
• Encouraging programs in the fine arts and to promote the cultural enrichment of the community; and
• Establishing an effective liaison between the City and local cultural and artistic groups.
Upon concluding the selection process for 5 commissioners, the Daly City Arts and Commission convened its first meeting in February 26, 2015. The commissioners are:
FONG-MARTINEZ, Pauline B., CHAIR (Term expires 06/09/2016)
LIAIGA-ANOA’I, Manūfou (Term expires 05/27/2016)
PANIZA, Dorie C. (Term expires 08/11/2018)
RIZZI, Norman J. (Term expires 11/17/2018)
RODRIGUEZ, Nancy G., VICE CHAIR (Term expires 09/08/2018)
The Commission meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm in the third floor conference room at City Hall. The members of the public are invited to attend. Meeting agendas, minutes and other information can be linked here: http://www.dalycity.org/City_Hall/Meeting_Agendas_and_Minutes/Arts_and_Culture_Commission.htm
FIRST YEAR – 2015. In addition to its duties as described above, the Arts and Culture Commission accomplished the following:
- Developed and installed its first photo exhibition, Daly City Photo Contest Exhibition, in the Octagon Gallery of Daly City City Hall.
- Hosted its first arts and culture event, Gateway to Art: Daly City Photo Contest Gallery Opening Reception, on November 12, 2015, The community was invited to participate in an evening in which they could view the Daly City Photo Contest exhibition, participate in an awards ceremony for the photo contest winners, and listen to musical performances by a guzheng artist and the student orchestra group from Woodrow Wilson. Refreshments were also served in the evening.
- Developed its own Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/dalycityarts/?ref=bookmarks
- Began its strategic planning process.
SECOND YEAR – 2016.
- In May, the San Mateo County Arts Commission awarded a $4,875. grant to our commission. This is the first grant ever awarded to a government arts commission. We are also only one of 19 arts organizations in the county that was awarded an arts grant. The support from the San Mateo County Arts Commission is expected to mostly go toward funding our new annual program and event – Light Up Our World.
- In November, LIGHT UP OUR WORLD drew over 800 attendees on a rainy and cold night. We are so lucky to have our community support arts and culture in Daly City! We are working on developing the web page to show you how great our community is!